The requirements for licensure by examination as a Nursing Home Administrator are as follows. Applicants must:
Pass the Florida Nursing Home Administrator Laws and Rules Examination.
Pass the Florida Nursing Home Administrator Examination. To qualify to sit for the examination, applicants must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have majored in health care administration, health services administration, or an equivalent major, or have credit for at least 60 semester hours in subjects, as prescribed by Rule 64B10-11.007, F.A.C., which prepare the applicant for total management of a nursing home, and have completed a college-affiliated or university-affiliated internship of at least 650 hours with a board-approved preceptor in a skilled nursing facility that has at least 60 beds.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have majored in health care administration, health services administration, or an equivalent major, or have credits for at least 60 semester hours in subjects, as prescribed by Rule 64B10-11.007, F.A.C., which prepare the applicant for total management of a nursing home, and have fulfilled the requirements of a 1,000-hour nursing home administrator-in-training program prescribed by the board.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have fulfilled the requirements of a 2,000-hour nursing home administrator-in-training program prescribed by the board.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have one year of management experience* allowing for the application of executive duties and skills, including the staffing, budgeting, and directing of resident care, dietary, and bookkeeping departments within a skilled nursing facility, hospital, hospice, assisted living facility with a minimum of 60 licensed beds, or geriatric residential treatment program and, if such experience is not in a skilled nursing facility, have fulfilled the requirements of a 1,000-hour nursing home administrator-in-training program prescribed by the board.
* In order to establish supervised direct management experience, the applicant must prove that, while under the supervision of a licensed nursing home administrator, they performed in the role of an executive manager, performing the same duties and skills expected of a Florida licensed nursing home administrator including, at a minimum, the primary direction of all facility departments of:
- Human resources, including recruiting, selecting, staffing, educating and developing managers so goals of each department are accomplished, and conducting performance appraisals for all department managers
- Resident care
- Accounting/bookkeeping, including budgeting and internal controls
- Life safety
- Maintenance and housekeeping
- Therapies programs
Submit your completed application and fees to the board office. To apply online select the “Apply Online” button above.
If you prefer, you may apply using the paper application. To download the paper application, click the “Resources” tab above and select the application for the appropriate licensure type from the “PDF Applications” drop-down menu.
Please download, print, and complete the paper application. Submit your application along with the required fees to:
Board of Nursing Home Administrators
P.O. Box 6330
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6330
Within 7-14 days of receipt of your application, the board office will notify you of the status of your application and any remaining required documents that need to be submitted.
The following documentation is required to complete your application:
- Official Final Transcript- Have your official final transcripts mailed directly from your college or university to the board office at:
Board of Nursing Home Administrators
4052 Bald Cypress Way Bin C-07
Tallahassee, FL 32399-3257
- Experience Verification- Have your employer(s) send a letter confirming one year of managerial experience.
- Job Description- Have your employer send an original signed and dated copy of your job description.
- Facility Organizational Chart- Have your employer send a copy of the facility organizational chart.
- Internship Verification- Have your college or university send a letter confirming completion of 650-hour minimum internship at a Skilled Nursing Facility with a minimum of 60 beds.
- Administrator-in-Training Forms- Complete and submit the forms at the back of the Administrator-in-Training paper application (pages 7-9). To download the paper application, click the “Resources” tab above and select the “Administrators-in-Training Application” from the “PDF Applications” drop-down menu.
|Initial Licensure Fee||$500.00|
|Unlicensed Activity Fee||$5.00|
Make certified check or money orders payable to the Florida Department of Health, or pay by credit card when applying online.
Click on Chapter or Section Number to View
Chapter 468, Part II: Nursing Home Administrators
Chapter 456: Health Professions and Occupations: General Provisions
Chapter 400, Part II: Nursing Homes and Related Health Care Facilities
Chapter 415, Parts: Adult Protective Services
Chapter 765, Parts I, II, III and IV: Health Care Advance Directives
Chapter 120: Administrative Procedure Act
Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.)
Rules: Chapter 64B10: (Board of Nursing Home Administrators Rules)
Rules: Chapter 64E11: (Division of Environmental Health – Food Hygiene)
Rules: Chapter 64E16: (Division of Environmental Health – Biomedical Waste)
Rules: Chapter 59A4: (Agency for Health Care Administration – Minimum Standards for Nursing Homes)